Thursday, August 27, 2009

Lulu's Bad Day

Poor Lulu. 

The morning started off a little on the rough side. She knew she was in for it when I started combing out all her hair tangles (which she hates with a passion) only to dump her in the kitchen sink for a bath. I toweled her off and she had her usual "spaz-attack" where she runs around the house for almost an hour at full speed rubbing her ears around against the carpet. She hates having water in her ears! 

While Lulu was running around, I decided to give Buster (we are also sitting my parents' dog) a bath being that he is the smelliest dog alive. I had just gotten him wet in the bathtub when I heard some thumping against the wall and Lulu screaming her head off. I quickly shut off the water, letting Buster escape the tub tracking water EVERYWHERE. I raced out to see what happened and found Lulu hiding under my bed still whimpering. 

From the sound of the thumping, whatever she did happened in the guest room. It looked like she jumped on the guest bed to rub her ears against the sheets (ew) and fell off the bed. Somehow, some way, in that process she hurt herself badly! I thought maybe she would get over it, but after an hour of yet more screaming every time she tried to walk, I called the vet. 

Of course my vet said they were booked, but they gave me the number of another one. I called the second vet and they said I could drop her off for about 3-4 hours and one of the vets could maybe look at her in between surgeries. Excuse me? Drop my baby off? Hell no!

So I searched the yellow pages and found a vet in West Seattle. They were definitely more expensive than my usual vet, but I didn't care. I took Lulu there and miraculously she started walking around making friends with everyone. I was actually a little pissed- wasn't she in severe pain? She made me look like an overprotective crazy dog lady!

Well, then the vet touched her tail and she started squealing all over again. He couldn't tell if it was dislocated or broken so they did an x-ray. Turns out Lulu broke her tail!  

She is very depressed about all this as you can tell. I am also very depressed about all this because if her bone doesn't heal in 3-4 weeks, we will have to AMPUTATE HER TAIL! They vet is semi-optimistic that she will heal because she is still young and the break did not go all the way through the bone. It was more like a nasty crack than a complete break.

So now, Lulu's tail has to be in a splint for 3-4 weeks and we have to take her in once a week for them to re-splint it. She's also hopped up on pain meds. I feel so so bad! 

I will keep you updated on the tail situation when I know more... Keep your fingers crossed for the tail to stay! Be PRO TAIL!

4 comments:

  1. Poor Lulu!!! However the lovely shade of teal compliments her coloring well :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh your poor puppy!!! :( Keeping my fingers crossed for pro tail! Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sad! Poor thing! And bad timing, you have enough to worry about right now with the wedding! Let us know if you need help with anything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy Crud! I have not blogged in forever! You are a champion. I just spent like 35 minutes reading about stuff I already talked to you and Lowell about! Most Excellent. You are inspiring me to do a Roupescoop, and there will be a mention of the great Parker Family Wedding!

    ReplyDelete