Sunday, July 5, 2009

Olympic Peninsula Trip


Lowell and I spent part of our July 4th weekend on the peninsula doing some camping and hiking. We drove out and camped in the Hoh River Rainforest. It was gorgeous and really well-maintained. There are rangers everywhere who are thrilled to tell you all about the rainforest ecosystem. 

The Hoh River is glacier-fed and FREEZING cold. We could barely stand to have our feet in the water for more than 30 seconds! We met many backpackers along the way carrying cramp-ons and ice picks who were on their way to climb Mount Olympus.



There's our favorite tree-hugger! That is a giant blue spruce tree that Lowell is hugging. There are tons of these in the rainforest. Also plentiful is good old moss! (see below)

The next day we headed out to Sul Duc Valley to do a short hike to see Sol Duc Falls. It was gorgeous and a really easy hike. I think this was Lowell's favorite highlight of the trip.




On our way home, we stopped to BBQ some veggie burgers at Lake Crescent (east beach park.) I think this was my favorite highlight of the trip because the water felt amazing! This lake has to be one of the most beautiful lakes in all of Washington. It is so clean and sandy and a good swimming temperature. You can walk out for maybe 100 feet or more from the shore because it is so shallow. 



Of course, this post would not be complete without me admitting this one: I made Lowell stop in Forks, WA so I could get my picture taken next to Bella's truck from the oh-so-popular Twilight book series. I needed my vampire fix and how cool is it that these books put a little town like Forks on the map? They even have stores now in Forks completely dedicated to selling Twilight memorabilia (because everyone needs a Twilight lunchbox and thermos.)

My vampire teeth


Oh, Edward... if only you were real...

5 comments:

  1. Great photos --- We have hiked Hoh River and been to Lake Crescent, now, if only I have visited Forks and seen the famous truck. I should add that to my list, but maybe you will have to go with me since Gabe wouldn't understand!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a pretty area, gotta love the Pacific Northwest! I've been wanting to head up there sometime this summer too. The hike looks kind of looks similar to one I did a few weeks ago near Mt. Rainier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the post! Looks like so much fun! I also love Lake Crescent. The blue water is spectacular eh?
    I wonder if Linnea is big enough for a trip like this? I would be interested to know where you camped. Did you have to book far ahead. Wanting to go camping 17-19th... Linnea's first camping trip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It would be a perfect camping trip to take Linnea on! We camped at the Hoh River Rainforest campsite. Really short well-groomed trails you can get to right off of your campsite. You can't book ahead. But, we went 4th of July weekend which is busy and we were fine. There are 89 campsites available I think. You'd definitely get one! I still have a copy of the directions to the campsite if you want them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sad, was this the annual camping trip of the Fall-Parkers and da Booths? You are missing the boxed wine and illegal dog! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete